Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

An update from London

Originally written 11 July 2005

Well things have settled down here in London after last Thursday's events (they will probably become known as 7/7) and I was back on the buses and tube on Saturday and have been into central London everyday since. I figure that there's not much you can do besides remaining vigilant and if your time's up, then your time's up and it's just fate. So I'm not going to let anything spoil my stay over here, although I must admit that I was glad when I got off the tube after my first ride in.

Craig and I got up early and went over to the Walkabout pub in Shepherd's Bush (a Kiwi/Aussie stronghold in London) on Saturday morning to watch the All Blacks beat the Lions (again), so that was good.

Caught up with some friends that I'd made on my tour on Saturday night and had a dinner on The Strand, then a couple of drinks. The pubs close at 11pm over here which takes a bit of getting used to and theTube stops running at 12.30pm as well, which makes it hard to get home if you miss it, as you have to use the night buses which are not as user friendly. Just made it home - caught the last Tube by a couple of minutes on Saturday night, as I had problems getting between stations as some lines are still not open because of the bombings. Just as an aside - I actually quite like getting lost while I'm travelling as I figure that I'm getting to see a new part of the city that I probably otherwise wouldn't get to see.

Had lunch in town on Sunday with some more of the tour group as a few of them were/are leaving soon. Then went to the celebrations commemorating the 60th anniversary of the the end of World War 2, then came home and cooked dinner for Craig, Marsha and I.

It's been really hot over here the past couple of days - high 20s and early 30s, so I may even get a sun-tan as it's meant to like it all week. The Tube is like an oven, so I was really happy to get home today after going into Regent St to activate my UK bank account. They've only just started using PIN numbers on their debit (EFTPOS) cards over here so it's quite strange to think that we've had them for 16 years back in NZ. Actually lots of things are very old-fashioned here and they are definitely still waiting to learn about customer service!!

Well, that's me for the moment. Take care, Scandinavian adventures, to follow.

No comments: