Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

My intial reaction to the first London bombings

Originally written 7 July 2005

Well I was going to send out the detailed account of my adventures in Scandinavia, which I will do at some point, however, as you are probably aware London has experienced a series of terrorist attacks this morning so I'm not really in the best mood right now. I've been watching it on TV and it's a bit surreal. I don't know if all my friends are ok as I haven't received texts back from all of them yet and I'm feeling a bit isolated.

I've only been back in London just over a day and am staying with my friend's Craig and Marsha, who are both ok, out at Harlesden which is a wee way out of central London (Marsha rang me just before and it looks like they will have to walk home which will take hours). I was actually going to head into Regent St today to pick up my cards etc for my UK bank account, however, I won't be going into the city anytime soon and will be rather hesitant to get on the Tube or a bus from now on.

We are all still waiting to hear the extent of what has happened so I really don't know what I will do from here, I will just wait for everything to settle down. The city has gone from euphoria with getting the 2012 Olympics, to shock. At least they have been prepared for it, one of the first things I noticed when I got here was that they don't have any rubbish bins at the Tube stations for fear of bombs being dropped in them and the emergency procedures seem to have gone to plan. Anyway, that's all I have to say right now.

No comments: